What is the most important information I should know about antidepressant medicines, depression, other serious mental illnesses, and suicidal thoughts or actions?
1. Cymbalta and other antidepressant medicines may increase suicidal thoughts or actions in some children, teenagers, or young adults within the first few months of treatment or when the dose is changed.
2. Depression and other serious mental illnesses are the most important causes of suicidal thoughts or actions.
Some people may have a particularly high risk of having suicidal thoughts or actions.
These include people who have (or have a family history of) bipolar illness (also called manic-depressive illness).
3. How can I watch for and try to prevent suicidal thoughts and actions?
• Pay close attention to any changes in mood, behavior, actions, thoughts, or feelings, especially sudden changes. This is very important when an antidepressant medicine is started or when the dose is changed.
• Call your healthcare provider right away to report new or sudden changes in mood, behavior, thoughts, or feelings.
• Keep all follow-up visits with your healthcare provider as scheduled. Call your healthcare provider between visits as needed, especially if you have concerns about symptoms.